1) All Your Favorites:
- Food: My nana’s enchiladas
- Movie: This Old Cub
- Movie Character: Mort Rainey (Johnny Depp, Secret Window)
- Book (Author): For Love of Ivy
- Book Character (what book?): Ponyboy, The Outsiders
- Show: Sportscenter or Top Chef
- Type of Music: Rap/ Hip-Hop
- Musical Artist or Band: A Tribe Called Quest
- Album: Illmatic, Nas
- Song (Artist): Next Episode (Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg)
- Artist: Diego Rivera
- City (foreign or domestic): Capetown, South Africa
- State: California
- Country: South Africa
- Place (anywhere): Charlevoix, Michigan
- Sport: Baseball
- Activity: Going to the beach
- Hobby: Boating, Jetskiiing
- Board Game: Life
- Monopoly Piece: Race Car
- Quote: “When I step between the lines, I become a legend. With my head held high and hat to my chest, the words “Oh say! can you see,” remind me of what I am: A catalyst of tradition, striving to measure up to the heroes from past and present. Through countless hours of dedication and hard work, I live my dream. My heart is filled with true love for this game knowing I, too, could be one of the all-time greats. I exist solely to experience the senses that are unmistakable and sacred to “America’s Game.” The smell of freshly cut grass. The distinct sound of a ball meeting the bat. Sensations of holding the glove to my face as the sun warms the back of my neck. These are the immortal rewards in baseball. This passionate game has created who I am, a member of an elite group: The Boys of Summer. Then I hear those timeless words of “PLAY BALL!” which once again remind me game time has arrived. It has always been at this very moment, between these lines, that I become frozen in time, when I am pure! And now, as the sun paints another beautiful picture of our national pastime, my heart begins to question who the better player will be today. Who has worked harder? Who will be tougher? Who wants it more? No matter who this may be, the humbling game of baseball will neither care nor remember the next time we step Between The Lines.”
2) Why did you choose Santa Clara?
Growing up in San Jose, Santa Clara was always my dream school down the street for me to aspire to go to. It possesses everything I was looking for in a 4 year college in the aspect of a great academic reputation, fantastic facilities, and a small student body to allow myself to develop relationships with my professors.
3) What draws you to baseball? What makes it appealing to you? What is special about the college game?
I get drawn to baseball through its sense of tradition and how it allows one to discover their own character through the ups and downs of the game of baseball. To me it is the greatest game that teaches so much about life. What is special about the college game to me is the aspect in which personal accomplishment is inferior to the team goal of winning. To me college sports puts the greatest emphasis on a unified goal out of all levels of sport.
4) How has the fall season gone for the team and you personally?
The fall in my mind has been the best experience I could ask for. There is a certain energy that embodies all of us at the field that each and everyday seems to be the greatest thrill for me to be at the yard. This fall has been both informative and challenging for me both in very positive ways, which I hope has set a foundation for us to build upon when embarking on this upcoming season.
5) Who is your favorite guy on the team to compete with? To compete against? Why?
My favorite guy to both compete with and against is Matt Ozanne for to me he is the epitome of a college athlete, a person who leads by example and competes with all he has each and everyday. His efforts and style of play have both challenged me as a player and helped improved some of my faults on the field.
6) 5 people, living or dead, to have coffee with?
- Ron Santo
- Nelson Mandela
- Benjamin Lee Meade (my grandpa)
- Roberto Clemente
- “Pistol” Pete Maravich
7) What would you do with a billion dollars?
First, I would put forth any money needed for my family and the funds we needed to pay. After that I would probably pay off the down payment on a house that I would purchase with the money and after that buy a new sports car, a Porsche of some type. With the remainder of the money I would probably invest it in various things and perhaps start up my own sports agency.
9) #1 on your Bucket List?
Visit every MLB stadium hopefully as a player, if not, as a fan watching the Cubs.
10) What’s your ideal 1st date? Who? What? Where?
I don’t really have a set ideal 1st date in my mind. It would definitely involve something outside whether it be a day game at Wrigley Field or spending sunrise to sunset out on a lake boating and doing various water activities.